Traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Forum Index Traditional Chinese Martial Arts.
Preservation of Traditional Chinese Martial Arts.

Ch'an Dao Martial Arts Association. 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xin Yi Liu He Quan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Forum Index -> Traditional Internal Martial Arts.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeforce
Honoured Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Xin Yi Liu He Quan Reply with quote

I absolutely love this art. I wish I could find someone in the UK to teach me.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-6011.html
Xian
Imperial Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Lifeforce.

From your other posts, it seems that you learn from books and presumably DVDs? I know that this modern approach is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have heard of martial arts lessons being carried out over the net - via webcam - this might be one possible way of learning a rare martial art - or at least becoming proficient in its basic structures and movements. Of course, this can serve as a primer until you can find a flesh and blood teacher.
lifeforce
Honoured Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xian wrote:
Thanks for that Lifeforce.

From your other posts, it seems that you learn from books and presumably DVDs? I know that this modern approach is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have heard of martial arts lessons being carried out over the net - via webcam - this might be one possible way of learning a rare martial art - or at least becoming proficient in its basic structures and movements. Of course, this can serve as a primer until you can find a flesh and blood teacher.

The only thing I've learned from a book is Xing Yi Nei Gong. I would certainly never try to learn a martial art, other than face to face from a reputable teacher.
I even learned zhan zhuang from a teacher.
Qigong forms, fine, but a martial art, no way.
Xian
Imperial Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification! Apologies for the misunderstanding. Today, I think that many people do use a multi-format approach to learning. Thank you for sharing your art. In China today, many people wish to learn, but live far away from a teacher - so manuals and DVD's fill the void.

However, I have been extremely interested in the clip you have provided.

Thank you.
Shifu - CDMAA - Adrian
Ch'an Dao Lineage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Xinyiliuhequan. Reply with quote

It is interesting to see such a discussion on an Atheist Forum. I know very little about this system, but I have come across it every now and again. I know a person who is a descendent of master Yin Fu - this person's father practiced a version of 'six harmonies' (infact - 'LiuHeBaFaQuan, or 'Six Harmony Eight Method Fist' - 六合八法拳) - and as far as I can gather, the family viewed the art as something akin to combat effective Taijiquan. This is sometimes called 'ShuiQuan', or 'Water Fist'. What is interesting is that the ideogram 'fa' (法) is written to mean 'go out into water', but is used in everyday Chinese to refer to a 'pattern', a 'set direction', or even an 'institution'. The initial clips of the above link are of '心意六合拳' - or 'Mind Intention Six Harmony Fist':

Mind (Xin)= 心.
Intention (Yi) = 意.
Six (Liu) = 六.
Harmony (He) = 合.
Fist (Quan) = 拳.

I once saw a documentary about this art on the Chinese English language channel CCTV9 - which featured a Hui (Muslim) ethnic group in China, (the descendents of Arab tradespeople and their Chinese spouses), as they practiced their art - which is often referred to as not only 'northern' Chinese gongfu, but also as a Muslim art. I have always thought it curious that nothing like this art exists in any other part of the Islamic world, at least as far as I can tell. Which would suggest 'an out of China' development, rather than an 'out of Arabia' scenario. It is interesting to note that the 6 harmonies are:

1) Oneness of body & mind.
2) Oneness of mind & intent.
3) Oneness of intent & qi.
4) Oneness of qi and spirit.
5) Oneness of spirit & movement.
6) Oneness of movement & emptiness.

However, I have also seen the 6 harmonies described this way:

3 External Harmonies: foot unites with head - elbow unites with knee - shoulder unites with hip.

3 Internal Harmonies: Mind unites with intent - intent unites with blood - blood unites with qi.

I am sure that there are other versions of these schematic - all variants of a theme, but all evolving around qi cultivation and development. Many paths leading to the same destination.
'He that has the strength, let him arise and withdraw into himself, forgoing all that is known by the eyes, turning away for ever from the material beauty that once made his joy.' (Plotinus - Ennead I-6:8 - MacKenna).
lifeforce
Honoured Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that there is a magazine article on this art in the articles section of the forum. That particular part of the forum is locked. Is there any chance of increasing the size because I can't read the text. It looks to be a very good article as well.

Thank you
Shifu - CDMAA - Adrian
Ch'an Dao Lineage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lifeforce

Thank you for your post.

It has taken much time to rectify the problems with the Archive Section, but we have managed to re-scan each article and present it at a better size and resolution. The article you mention can be accessed at:

Six Harmony Eight Method Fist
http://chandaodiscussion.forumcity.com/viewtopic.php?t=206

Thank you
'He that has the strength, let him arise and withdraw into himself, forgoing all that is known by the eyes, turning away for ever from the material beauty that once made his joy.' (Plotinus - Ennead I-6:8 - MacKenna).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Forum Index -> Traditional Internal Martial Arts. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: